Thursday, October 29, 2020

HIDING BEHIND WALLS CAN'T HIDE YOU FROM GOD WHO "STILL" SEES THE HEART

 


YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH

GETTING TO “KNOW” Y O U, Part 3

WRITTEN BY GAYLE L. WALLACE

 

“…Therefore if any man (woman) be in Christ, he (she) is a NEW creature ” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). “… All things are … [MADE] … NEW…” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). “... I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me...” (Galatians 2:20 KJV). 

*

Third, a MIRROR VIEW of who I really WAS meant I needed to STOP defending the OLD ME every time God revealed the sin STILL hidden within my heart.

In the flesh, defensiveness is often a natural response to criticism. If people grew up in an abusive, dysfunctional situation, they may be riddled with low self-esteem and feelings of unworthiness. “...Behold, I was shapen in iniquity (THE OLD ME)....” (Psalm 51:5-6 KJV).

If a person is riddled with low self-esteem and feelings of unworthiness, they were, most likely, unaccepted and invalidated by their surrounding environments. “...Behold, I was shapen in iniquity (THE OLD ME)....” (Psalm 51:5-6 KJV).

People who were unaccepted and invalidated by their surrounding environments will put up with offensive, abusive, and provocative treatment and verbal put-downs from others. “…The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to [low self-image and feelings of unworthiness].I don’t really understand myself, for I want to [be accepted and validated] …but I don’t [know how]... Instead, I do what I hate....” (Romans 7:14-25 NLT). 

Some of their motives for allowing others to treat them with such disrespect, or trespass upon their boundaries, or treat them as though they have no rights, or flood them with negative comments is usually to “keep the peace,” “sidestep conflicts,” and to  avoid criticisms.” “...I want to [be accepted and validated) … [which]… is right, BUT I CAN’T...” (Romans 7:14-25 NLT). 

People who are traumatized by dysfunctional experiences often become people-pleasers.“…What shall it profit a man (woman), if he (she) shall gain the whole world [by people pleasing], and lose his (her) own soul?...” (Mark 8:36 KJV).

 People pleasers, most likely, have internalized dysfunctional experiences to the point they feel completely unworthy, unlovable, undeserving of happiness or kindnesses, and completely unaccepted or validated even after they’ve accepted Christ as Savior.“...You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language...” (Colossians 3:6-8 NLT). “...once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!  For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true...” (Ephesians 5:7-9 NLT).  “... thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or [those who]...are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God...” (1 Corinthians 6:10-11 NLT).

“... [god’s children/people are]... crucified with Christ.” (Galatians 2:20 KJV).  “…old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new...” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV).

People SUFFER for many years feeling unworthy UNTIL they meet Jesus, God’s TRUTH. Accepting Jesus, God’s TRUTH, as SAVIOR, is a radical, life-changing experience for EVERYONE. “…Who will free me from this life that is dominated by ..[people pleasing, feelings of unworthiness, or feeling unacceptable and invalidated]?(Romans 7:14-25 NLT). “...Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord (God’s TRUTH)…(Romans 7:14-25 NLT).  

Jesus, God’s TRUTH, is also the GREATEST LOVE of all and CARES for each of his children, so tenderly, that low self-image and unworthiness is progressively eradicated through the cleansing POWER of God’s TRUTH. “…There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life…” (John 15:13 NLT). “…Thy Word (Jesus) is TRUTH… (JOHN 17:17 KJV). “…If the Son (Jesus, God’s TRUTH) therefore shall make you free, you SHALL be free indeed (without a doubt!!)…” (John 8:36 KJV).

“…Christ (Jesus, God’s TRUTH) ….loved the church (HIS children/people), and GAVE himself for it; That he might SANCTIFY and CLEANSE it, with the washing of water by the word (God’s TRUTH)….” (Ephesians 5:25-25 KJV). “… The God of peace Himself SANCTIFY [his children] ENTIRELY…” (1 Thessalonians 5:23 NASB). “...God has chosen [his people] from the beginning for SALVATION through SANCTIFICATION by the Spirit and faith in the TRUTH…” (2 Thessalonians 2:13 NASB “….[God’s children/people] are SANCTIFIEDin the name of the Lord Jesus (God’s TRUTH), and by the SPIRIT of our GOD…” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11 KJV). “...He careth for [HIS children/people]...” (1 Peter 5:7 KJV).

Jesus, God’s Word and God’s TRUTH plays a VERY important ROLE in the painful, but necessary introspective healing from low self-image/esteem as well as feelings of unworthiness, unacceptability, or invalidation. “...Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity And in sin my mother conceived me. Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom. Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness, Let the bones which You have broken rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins And blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit...” (Psalms 51:1-12 KJV).

 “...O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O Lord, You know it all... [So go ahead and]....search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way...”(Psalms 139 KJV).

“...[Go ahead and]....search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;  And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way...”(Psalms 139 KJV).

It is much easier to defend the existence of one’s shortcomings than allow Jesus, God’s TRUTH to dig out the ROOTS of problems within the heart. God is YOUR DEFENDER. “...[Go ahead and]....search me, O God, and know my heart...”(Psalms 139 KJV).

 Let God, the Holy Spirit HEAL YOU. He is, “…Your rock and Your fortress, your deliverer, Your GOD, Your rock, in whom [you can] … take refuge; Your shield (DEFENDER) and the horn of Your salvation, YOUR stronghold.…" (Psalms 18:3 NASB).

 “...God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalms 46:1 KJV). “..... so shall I be saved from mine enemies (low esteem, unworthiness, being unaccepted or invalidated)…” (Psalms 18:1-3 KJV).

“...He (she) that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. [God’s people]... will say of the Lord ...is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust...” (Psalm 91 KJV).

“...Surely he shall deliver thee ... his truth shall be thy shield (DEFENDER) and buckler...” (Psalm 91 KJV).

“...Thou shalt not be afraid ... Because thou hast made the Lord (God’s truth), which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation...” (Psalm 91 KJV).

“...There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways...” (Psalm 91 KJV).

“...Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation...” (Psalm 91 KJV).

“...My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart...” (Psalms 7:10 KJV).“...[Go ahead and]....search me, O God, and know my heart...”(Psalms 139 KJV).

The PROCESS of being delivered from the ROOTS of one’s problems is PAINFUL, but liberating and leads to a FREE, joyful life in Christ Jesus. “...And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way...”(Psalms 139 KJV).  “... ye have been called unto liberty...” (Galatians 5:13 KJV).  “…The [Holy]...Spirit of the Lord [was].. upon [Jesus, God’s TRUTH], because he hath anointed [him]… … to set at liberty them that are bruised [by unworthiness, invalidation, feelings of being unacceptable, etc.,]” (John 4:16-21 KJV).

“ “where the Spirit of the Lord (Jesus, God’s TRUTH) is, there is liberty (freedom)...” (2 Corinthians 3:17 KJV). Where is the Spirit of the Lord? “…The Spirit of God dwell in [God’s children/people]…” (Romans 8:9 KJV).  

“... It was for freedom that Christ (jesus, God’s TRUTH) set [his children] free;...” (Galatians 5:1 NASB). “... [God’s children are to]...stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ (God’s TRUTH) hath made [them]... free...” (Galatians 5:1 KJV). “...If the Son (God’s TRUTH) therefore shall make [his children]... free, [they]... SHALL be free indeed” (John 8:36 KJV).

I said all of that to say this: We have looked at who God’s people WERE in light of who they are, right now, in Christ. We have discussed “opening the DOOR of your HEART” and letting God’s TRUTH speak to you.

However, once Jesus, God’s TRUTH starts speaking it is important to let down any WALLS OF DEFENSE.

People build emotional walls to protect themselves from being vulnerable to their surrounding environments, especially if there has been a LONG history of emotional abuse and mistreatment. “...For I will restore you to health (mental and emotional health too). And I will heal you of your wounds (wounds from negative images and esteem),' declares the LORD, 'Because they have called you an outcast ..."' (Jeremiah 30:17 NASB).  “...He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds ... (Psalms 147:3 NASB). “...[God, the Holy Spirit]...heals all your diseases ...” (Psalms 103:3 NASB). “...For You have delivered my soul from death, Indeed my feet from stumbling, So that I may walk before God In the light of the living (as a NEW CREATION)...” (Psalms 56:13 NASB). “...O LORD my God, I cried to You for help, and You healed me...” (Psalms 30:2 NASB).

Eventually, a person gets TIRED of being hurt, brokenhearted, rejected, mistreated, or abused. “…I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God…” (Psalms 69:3 KJV). “…Since I am afflicted and needy, Let the Lord be mindful of me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God… (Psalms 40:17 NASB). “…Hope deferred  (delayed) makes the heart sick, …” (Proverbs 13:12 NASB). “…Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick…” (Proverbs 13:12 MSG). “…How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?” (Psalms 13:1 NASB).

Building WALLS of DEFENSE actually cuts a person off from others, isolates them, and starts them on the LONG road to loneliness. They usually TRUST “no one” and if they do get into relationships with others trust won’t exist.

God created mankind with the ability to connect with HIS Holy Spirit and others on very intimate levels. “…God is not human …” (Numbers 23:19 NIV). “…GOD IS SPIRIT…” (John 4:24 KJV). “the Spirit of God dwell in you (dwells in his children/people)…” (Romans 8:9 KJV).…He (she) that is joined unto the Lord is ONE SPIRIT (with God, the Holy Spirit, again)… (1 Corinthian 6:17 KJV).

God reconciles his children, to himself, in order to have a “covenant unity” relationship with THEM, again, which INTIMATELY connects the HOLY SPIRIT and the soul together, “in” Christ.

Together this UNION is called a “LIVING (God, the Holy Spirit) SOUL (you), again. “….and man (woman) became a living soul (soul, again)” (Genesis 2:7 KJV).

BUILDING WALLS destroy the possibility of connecting with God or others. “… MUCH GOOD … [was destroyed]” (Ecclesiastes 9:18 NASB).  Before accepting Jesus Christ, the lost soul separated from God, the Holy Spirit, which created a BARRIER (like a WALL) between them too.

This barrier (WALL) is also known as a CHASM, which separates the natural realm from the supernatural realm. It also creates impenetrable boundaries between sinful mankind and the HOLY God. They cannot have a “covenant unity” relationship “... And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm (barrier) has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us…” (Luke 16:22-25 NASB).

This chasm is a spiritual, emotional, and mental separation that cuts mankind off from God and sets impenetrable boundaries. They are in two different realms, “…Because of YOUR SINS, [God, the Holy Spirit has] … turned away and can… not listen anymore [because he is in the spiritual realm and YOU are not]…” (Isaiah 59:2 NLT).

 A person tucked safely behind a WALL of DEFENSE would whether let a person, they could possibly connect with, GO whether than let their WALLS down; because it’s SAFER.

Without CONNECTIONS people experience ongoing loneliness, pain, and personal suffering. CONNECTING with God and others was a NATURAL God-gifted ability. “…It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make …a helpmeet for him”…” (Genesis 2:18 KJV). “…He that is joined (restored, reconciled) unto the Lord (Jesus) is ONE spirit … [or in a covenant relationship with God again]...” (1 Corinthians 6:17 KJV).

Abusive past experiences can cause this NATURAL God-gifted ability to become completely dysfunctional.“...The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin (dysfunction)... I want to do what is good, but I don’t. …I [am] …a slave to the sin that is … within me ” (Romans 7:14-25 NLT).

Having a WALL of DEFENSE is safe to those who have it and it becomes a familiar lifestyle that works for them so they HOLD tightly to it. “…Therefore if any man (woman) be in Christ, he (she) is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). “...and man (woman) became a living soul (soul) ... [AGAIN] ” (Genesis 2:7 KJV).

Even while talking with Jesus, God’s TRUTH some people won’t LISTEN and aren’t willing to let their WALLS of DEFENSE down, which CREATES a problem with the close, intimacy needed to establish a “covenant unity” with God, the Holy Spirit. “…My people would not listen to me. They kept doing whatever they wanted” (Jeremiah 7:24 NLT). “…You skillfully ….hold on to your own tradition...” (Mark 7:9 NLT). … We will continue to live as we want to” (JEREMIAH 18:12 NLT).

A WALL of DEFENSE is usually built as a way to survive one’s surrounding environments, whatever it was. It enabled them to STAY SAFE and COPE with negative situations.“...In that day I will also make a covenant for them ....And will make them lie down in safety. “I will betroth you to Me forever; Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice, In lovingkindness and in compassion. And I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness ... Then you will know the Lord...And I will say to those who were not My people, ‘You are My people!’ And they will say, ‘You are my God!’...” (Hosea 2:14-23 NLT).

In compassion and with empathy for a person who BUILDS WALLS of DEFENSE, they did what they had to do, especially if there were a lot of boundary trespassing, disrespect, negating of one’s rights, criticism, invalidation, or other abuses.

This means their personal space was OFTEN violated when they were young, innocent, open, or vulnerable, without ANY protection. They may have felt TRAPPED and without OPTIONS, so they BUILT a WALL of DEFENSE.

However, over time, without HEALING, the WALL of DEFENSE leaves them full of pain, lonely, and emotionally separated from people.

They take the WALL of DEFENSE pattern into ALL situations and continually experience the same loneliness, isolation, and separation over and over again, which becomes the way life “is” for them.

When a person with a WALL of DEFENSE accepts Jesus, God’s TRUTH as SAVIOR, the “covenant unity” relationship DOES NOT fit into their narrative or reality about associations with people. “…God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son “INTO” [YOUR HEART]…” (Galatians 4:6 NASB “…Jesus Christ is IN YOU” (2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV).

“… His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us (he is with the person behind the wall of defense)…” (Matthew 1:23 NASB). …God has said “Never will I leave you (without my PRESENCE); never will I forsake you…” (Hebrews 13:5 NIV). “…I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, to the very end…"(Matthew 28:20 NIV).  “…Behold, I AM WITH… [YOU] … and  I WILL NOT LEAVE [YOU] ." (Genesis 28:15 ASV).The LORD thy God …will not fail thee, nor forsake thee” (Deuteronomy 31:6 KJV).  “… Behold, I am with … [you] and will keep … [you] whithersoever [you]… goest…I will not leave [you] ..." (Genesis 28:15 ASV).

Jesus, God’s TRUTH, wants to HELP them deal with the WALL of DEFENSE. God is COMMITTED to HELPING his children.“…He helps me…” (Psalms 28:7 NLT). “…The Lord who made you and helps you says: Do not be afraid …my servant …my chosen one…” (Isaiah 44:2 NLT). “… The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness…” (Romans 8:26 NLT). “…You are my helper and my savior…” (Psalms 40:17 NLT).

The WALL of DEFENSE, after many years, goes from being protective to being preventative. It prevents you from experiencing LOVE and TRUTH. LOVE makes one feel ALIVE and TRUTH sets one FREE. “…Thy WORD (Jesus) is truth… (JOHN 17:17 KJV). “….THE WORDS that I speak unto you, they are SPIRIT…” (John 6:63 KJV). “… I AM HOLY…” (1 Peter 1:14-16 KJV). “…GOD IS SPIRIT…” (John 4:24 KJV). “…God is LOVE…” (1 John 4:4-8 KJV). God is the HOLY SPIRIT of LOVE. “… I AM WHO I AM” (Exodus 3:14-15 NASB). “... APART FROM [the Holy Spirit of LOVE]... [mankind]... can do nothing  …” (John 15:1-11 NASB).

SOME people who live behind WALLS of DEFENSE have some interesting thoughts that come from within their hearts. MANY are ANGRY, INSECURE, and OVERLY critical or JUDGMENTAL of others. … from within, out of the heart of man, proceed evil thoughts …these … come from within, and defile a person...” (Mark 7:21-23 KJV). The heart “…is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked…who can know it…” (Jeremiah 17:9 KJV).  

The JUDGMENTAL ones have made ALL their observation, of others, from behind their WALL of DEFENSE, but feel justified because they THINK their judgements are true.

from within, out of the heart of man (woman), proceed evil thoughts… wickedness…” (Mark 7:21-23 KJV).All these evil things come from within, and defile a person.” (Mark 7:21-23 KJV).

“...God SEES NOT as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD LOOKS AT THE HEART”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB). “…No one needed… to tell him about human nature, for he knew what was in each person’s heart” (John 2:24-25 NLT). “…Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men…” (Acts 1:24 KJV). “… He watches everyone closely, examining every person on earth. The Lord examines both the righteous and the wicked…” (Psalm 11:4-5 NLT).

ALL JUDGMENTAL attitudes reveal a person’s HEART. "…Offspring of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man, out of his good treasure, brings forth good things, and the evil man, out of his evil treasure, brings forth evil things." (Matthew 12:34-35).

Living behind a WALL of DEFENSE can make some people PRIDEFUL. God looks at the “…hidden man (woman) of the heart…” (1 Peter 3:4 KJV). It is… from within, out of the heart of man (woman), proceed evil thoughts … [PRIDE] … these … come from within, and defile a person.” (Mark 7:21-23 KJV). “…everything he (God, the Holy Spirit) does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble... (Daniel 4 NIV).

Without realizing it, a person’s hurt, angry, and lack of love for themselves and others can make them judgmental. “...Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye...” (Matthew 7:1-5 KJV).

The bible says there is NONE righteous, not even those who LIVE and HIDE behind WALLS of DEFENSE. “…There is none righteous, no, not one:” (Romans 3:10 KJV). …There is not a just man (woman) upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not…” (Ecclesiastes 7:20 KJV). “…ALL HAVE SINNED and fallen short of the glory of God…” (Romans 3:23). “… [ALL have become]…..unclean and [their so-called] righteousnesses (efforts to BE good is) as filthy rags.” (Isaiah 64:6 KJV).

A judgmental person is WAY too eager to be OVERTLY or EXCESSIVELY critical of others, but are often unwilling, or too prideful to accept God’s TRUTHS about their OWN conduct, attitude, or character. “...Judge not, that ye be not judged...” (Matthew 7:1 KJV).

People who BUILD WALLS of DEFENSE USE their JUDGMENTAL  attitudes about others as excuses to keep people away and avoid forming long-term emotional relationships with them. “...If someone has enough money (or emotional wealth) to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion—how can God’s love be in that person? Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions...” (1 John 3:17-18 NLT).

JUDGING others repels people, which suits the person behind the WALL of DEFENSE just fine. “...we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone (NO EXCEPTIONS) who does not live righteously and does not love other believers does not belong to God...” (1 John 3:7-10 NLT).

Even if the judgements are true, they use TRUTH as a weapon to hurt the person or destroy their self-worth whether intentional or unintentional. “...Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor...” (Matthew 7:1-5 MSG).

The JUDGMENTAL actually BECOME the SAME kind of person they tried to PROTECT themselves from.“...And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?  ...” (Matthew 7:1-5 KJV).

“...Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye...” (Matthew 7:1-5 KJV).

The person behind the WALL of DEFENSE knows, first hand, what it’s like to be criticized and judged simply by your actions and without grace or mercy.

The person behind the WALL of DEFENSE has forgotten what it was LIKE to have their self-worth beaten to a pulp until it no longer exists. “...Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me.  My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.  Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.  Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah. I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest. Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city. Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it. Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company...” (Psalms 55:1-14 KJV).

They are behind their self-made WALL of DEFENSE because they, themselves, are ANGRY and WOUNDED inside by HOW someone mistreated and criticized them. “...Open your ears, God, to my prayer; don’t pretend you don’t hear me knocking. Come close and whisper your answer. I really need you. I shudder at the mean voice, quail before the evil eye, As they pile on the guilt,  stockpile angry slander.  My insides are turned inside out; specters of death have me down. I shake with fear, I shudder from head to foot. “Who will give me wings,” I ask— “wings like a dove?” Get me out of here on dove wings; I want some peace and quiet. I want a walk in the country, I want a cabin in the woods. I’m desperate for a change from rage and stormy weather. Come down hard, Lord—slit their tongues. I’m appalled how they’ve split the city Into rival gangs prowling the alleys Day and night spoiling for a fight, trash piled in the streets, Even shopkeepers gouging and cheating in broad daylight. This isn’t the neighborhood bully mocking me—I could take that. This isn’t a foreign devil spitting invective—I could tune that out. It’s you! We grew up together! You! My best friend! Those long hours of leisure as we walked arm in arm, God a third party to our conversation. [In my ANGER I sometimes feel like saying:]...Haul my betrayers off alive to hell—let them experience the horror, let them feel every desolate detail of a damned life...” (Psalms 55:1-15 MSG).

 Their HEARTS are becoming COLD waning itself of love, compassion, and empathy. They HARSHLY criticize others, unconsciously, taking out upon them someone else’s past mistreatment. .“...dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God...” (Hebrews 3:12-13 NLT).

“...But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin..” (Hebrews 3:12-14 KJV).

...This fulfills the prophecy of Isaiah that says, ‘When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend. For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes— so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them...” (Matthew 13:1-18 NLT).

A judgmental person behind a WALL of DEFENSE reveals a HEART that is slowly starting to LACK love or respect for others. “...And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold...” (Matthew 24:12 KJV).

Some even begin to THINK they are superior to the people they are criticizing. Looking down on others is a PRIDE issue. “…do not think of yourself more highly than you ought…” (Romans 12:3 NIV).“...Wherefore let him (her) that thinketh he (she) standeth take heed lest he (she) fall...” (1 Corinthians 10:12 KJV).  “...If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall...” (1 Corinthians 10:12 NLT). “...Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall...” (Proverbs 16:18 KJV). “...Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall...” (Proverbs 16:18 NLT).

Jesus, God’s TRUTH comes to HEAL the person behind the WALL of DEFENSE through self-reflection, realizing their own faults and shortcomings, and forgiveness. “…Create in me a clean heart, O God…” (Psalms 51:10 KJV). “…Christ ….loved the church, and GAVE himself for it; That he might SANCTIFY and CLEANSE it, with the washing of water by the word (of god)….” (Ephesians 5:25-25 KJV).

If a person is STILL behind a WALL of DEFENSE they, most likely, have NOT forgiven the person or persons who WRONGED them. “...Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?...” (Matthew 5:42-47 KJV).

Letting GO of hurts, angry and past offenses LEADS to TRUTH and TRUTH leads to FREEDOM. “… The Spirit of truthwill guide you into all the truth. …” (John 16:13 NIV). “…Thy WORD is truth (JOHN 17:17 KJV). “...ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free...” (John 8:32 KJV).

If you are EXTREMELY critical and judgmental of others nine times out of ten you have the SAME problem. “...Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man (woman), whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things...” (Romans 2:1 KJV).

The person behind the WALL of DEFENSE uses judgment of others to avoid LOOKING at the SAME sins hidden within their own HEARTS.“...Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn’t so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you’ve done...” (Romans 2:1 MSG).

People behind the WALL of DEFENSE and many others judge other people’s sins HARSHLY while DEFENDING their OWN.“... whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things...” (Romans 2:1 KJV).

The more you criticize others, the more you reveal your own heart. A MIRROR VIEW of who you really are BEHIND your WALL of DEFENSES, when communing with God, the Holy Spirit, means you CHOOSE to STOP defending the OLD YOU every time HE reveals the sin STILL hidden within your heart.  “...Behold, I was shapen in iniquity ...” (Psalm 51:5-6 KJV). “…be conformed to the image of his Son…” (ROMANS 8:29 KJV).

“… Be transformed by the renewing of your mind….” (Romans 12:2 KJV).

“...Be … imitators of [Jesus]…” (Hebrews 12:14; Ephesians 5:1 ASV). “… growing in every way more and more like Christ…” (Ephesians 4:14-16 NLT). “…In this world we are like Jesus…” (1 John 4:17 NIV).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment