Wednesday, September 12, 2018

TALK IS CHEAP, BUT SELF-DENIAL IS COSTLY!!

                                                                                          SUFFERING TRANSFORMING



“…How can you know me, if you don’t share in my suffering?...”

*

As a young woman, I sat in the congregation, with my legs crossed and listened as the preacher talked about “suffering.” I remember thinking, “I ain’t suffering for nobody.” However, I have since swallowed those words, seemingly, a thousand times. I have suffered in my lifetime.

I asked God why did he give me certain situations and circumstances to suffer through and he said, “How can you know me unless you share in my suffering?” He also said, “Pensacola, you are my heart and the mouthpiece for my heart.”

Two important things here: I was called to be the mouthpiece for God’s heart and it involved getting to know him. Part of getting to know him meant I had to share in the fellowship of his suffering. “I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death”(Philippians 3:10 NIV). “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death…”(Philippians 3:10 KJV).

I was not thrilled with the calling on my life and I certainly wasn’t thrilled to discover I would have to suffer as a result of the calling. Nobody likes to suffer. The word “suffer” gives me the chills, because suffering brings up so many unpleasant situations or memories.

I can’t even believe God wanted me, of all people, to write this book on “suffering.” To be honest I didn’t want to and I didn’t see the purpose. However God explained it.  
He started with this scripture: I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death”(Philippians 3:10 NIV). “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death…” (Philippians 3:10 KJV).
Let’s look briefly at Philippians 3:10 in order to gain some kind perspective on what that verse may mean in regard to the seasons of “suffering” we go through in life. Suffering is NEVER really about what is happening TO us, as much as it is about what is happening IN us.
For instance, the verse says, “....that I may know him...” which is not talking the collection if facts, or the acquisition of information, quoting Christian clichés, or about an intellectual conviction about God’s truth which promote one’s OWN ethical self-efforts, but it is talking about KNOWING God in the most intimate way possible. Thus, to really KNOW someone like God, the Holy Spirit, we have to BECOME like him or walk in his shoes, or imitate his behaviors or experiences. “…In this world we are LIKE JESUS…” (1 John 4:17 NIV). “....Now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him (JESUS); for we shall see him as he is...” (1 John 3:2 KJV).  KNOWING God, the Holy Spirit, is having a personal, intimate knowledge of him GAINED by DIRECT communion, oneness, and authentic, intimate experience with HIM.
Next, “....to know the POWER of his resurrection...”is first experiences through SALVATION. “...He was shown to be the Son of God when he was raised from the dead by the POWER of the Holy Spirit. He is Jesus Christ our Lord...” (Romans 1:4 NLT). “... [He was] declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead...” (Romans 1:4 KJV). Believers KNOW the POWER of that resurrection TOO SINCE they have also been resurrected from the DEAD. Before you are SAVED and RESTORED, “…YOU [were] dead in your sins and ... [IT IS]…God [the indwelling Holy Spirit] [that MAKES] you ALIVE [through] Christ (the WORD OF GOD).  [God, the Holy Spirit forgives and cleanses you from]… all [your]… sins…” (Colossians 2:13 NIV). God, the HOLY SPIRIT, makes “… [You]… ALIVE! … [You]… were DEAD in transgressions…” (Ephesians 2:5 NIV). Like the prodigal son, “… [YOU were]…. DEAD and [you have been MADE]… ALIVE…” (Luke 15:24 NIV).
The resurrection from the DEAD is the GLORIOUS manifestation of God’s internal POWER (the indwelling Holy Spirit) that makes us ALL into NEW CREATIONS!!  You are ALIVE!! I am ALIVE!! “…If any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature: old things are passed away; behold, ALL THINGS are become NEW…” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV).  “…God has given [you] HIS Spirit as PROOF that … he [dwells]…in [you]…” (1 John 4:13 NLT “…God … SENT forth the Spirit of His Son “INTO” [Y]OUR… HEARTS…” (Galatians 4:6 NASB). “…The Holy Spirit gives birth to [every aspect of] SPIRITUAL LIFE…” (John 3:6 NLT). I AM ALIVE!
To KNOW the POWER of “THIS” resurrection is to KNOW personally and intimately THAT you are SPIRITUALLY ALIVE and RESTORED to LIFE! God sent JESUS, THE HOLY WORD of God, to RESTORE mankind BACK to WHOLENESS, which MUST include a REJOINING of the SOUL to the HOLY SPIRIT. “…And the LORD God …breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a LIVING SOUL…” (GENESIS 2:7 KJV). “… I said, “O Lord, be gracious to me; Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You...” (Psalms 41:4 NASB). “… I will restore you to health And I will heal you of your wounds,’ declares the Lord…” (Jeremiah 30:17 NASB).
God is a “…restorer of thy life…” (Ruth 4:15 KJV). “…He restoreth my SOUL…” (Psalm 23 KJV). “…The law of the LORD (the WORD of God) is perfect, restoring the SOUL…” (Psalm 19 NASB). ….He (the WORD OF GOD) restoreth my soul….” (PSALM 23:1-3 NLT).I (God, the holy spirit) will restore…” (Jeremiah 30:17 KJV).  God is a “…restorer of thy life…” (Ruth 4:15 KJV). “…the Holy Spirit gives birth to (or restores) SPIRITUAL LIFE” (John 3:6 NLT). “….Jesus Christ (the WORD of GOD) maketh thee WHOLE (RESTORES, RESURRECTS  YOU FROM THE DEAD)…” (Acts 9:34 KJV).
“…YOU [were] dead in your sins and ... [IT IS]…God [the indwelling Holy Spirit] [that MAKES] you ALIVE [through] Christ (the WORD OF GOD).  [God, the Holy Spirit forgives and cleanses you from]… all [your]… sins…” (Colossians 2:13 NIV). “I AM what I AM ” (1 Corinthians 15:10 NIV).
Thirdly, “... the fellowship of his sufferings...” is what binds KNOWING HIM and KNOWING your RESURRECTION from the DEAD together. “…If any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature: old things are passed away; behold, ALL THINGS are become NEW…” (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). The RESURRECTION from the DEAD, for BELIEVERS, is the POWER of the HOLY SPIRIT that “has” completely FREED “THEM” from SIN.  “….if the Son sets you free, you will be FREE INDEED…” (John 8:36 NIV). …. He restoreth my soul….” (PSALM 23:1-3 NLT). . “... [You have been] made free from sin….” (Romans 6:18 KJV).I AM what I AM  (FREED FROM SIN)” (1 Corinthians 15:10 NIV).
Believers SHARE in the SUFFERINGS of JESUS CHRIST, which means they will struggle with the sin of others (THE AFFECT) or they will struggle with sins of their OWN flesh (THE INFLUENCE). “…The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.  And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. …I [am] …a slave to the sin that is … within me…(Romans 7:14-25 NLT).
Paul said he was a SLAVE to the SIN inherent in his FLESH. However, Paul was a man of God and FREED from SIN, but he openly admitted he still struggled with the (AFFECT OF THE) SINFUL NATURE. “….I am carnal … [and it is]… sin that dwelleth in me (my sinful nature). I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no GOOD thing: ….” (Romans 7:14-23 KJV). “…So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These TWO FORCES are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. …” (Galatians 5 NLT).
“...Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin (OR WALKS IN VICTORY OVER SIN)...” (1 Peter 4:1 NASB). “ ... Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin...” (1 Peter 4:1 KJV). . Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things he suffered…” (Hebrews 5:8 KJV). . “…The faithful followers of the Lord … keep their promises even when it hurts…” (Psalm 15:4 NLT). 
Believers, TOO, will learn to OBEY or follow God’s instructions through seasons of “suffering” The fellowship of suffering with Christ, is the STRUGGLE with sin (our own or others), but it is ALSO a gift that EMPOWERS the reality of our freedom from sin, impacts our conformity to his death and thus results in our conformity to his IMAGE.I AM what I AM ” (1 Corinthians 15:10 NIV).
The SOUL’S WAR against the SINFUL NATURE is WON from the FREEDOM in Christ JESUS and through the RESURRECTION POWER of the INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT!! “… So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. ..” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
“… The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.,,” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
“ … Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace…” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
“…For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will. That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.  But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you…” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
“,,, (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.) And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you…” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
God, the HOLY SPIRIT also the BREATH OF LIFE takes up residence and joins with the SOUL again and supplies the POWER needed to OVERCOME the SIN NATURE SO HIS PEOPLE CAN WALK IN THE FREEDOM OF HOLINESS. “… Therefore, dear brothers and sisters you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.  For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. …” (Romans 8:1-13 NLT).
A pastor said the HOLY SPIRIT has the POWER to enable us to put DEMANDS on the FLESH so we can do the things that PLEASE God AND WALK IN THE FREEDOM FROM SIN!!
“…It is… GOD, [the Holy Spirit] WHO “DOES” THE WORK IN AND THROUGH all of us who are his. The Holy Spirit “displays” God’s power THROUGH each of us…” (1 Corinthians 12:4-11 NLT). “…he doeth the works…” (John 14:10 KJV). “  The excellency of the power  [to overcome the SINFUL NATURE] may be of God, and not of us...” (2 Corinthians 4:6-7 KJV).
Jesus Christ is in you” (2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV). “…Christ in you, …” (Colossians 1:27 KJV). “…the Spirit of God dwell in you…” (Romans 8:9 KJV).  “…if Christ be in you…” (Romans 8:10 KJV). if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you” (Romans 8:11 KJV).  “Christ liveth in me” (Galatians 2:20 KJV). …until Christ be formed in you…” (Galatians 4:19 KJV). “…the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16 KJV). “the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you” (1 Corinthians 6:19 KJV). “…God hath said, I will dwell in them” (2 Corinthians 6:16 KJV).Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (freedom from SIN)…” (2 Corinthians 3:17 KJV).
The freedom from sin is a believers TRUTH. The conformity to his death is the believer’s PROGRESSIVE struggle against the affect of sin and the influence of sin, They ALREADY "HAVE" the ultimate victory and indwelling POWER to WALK in their FREEDOM from SIN. The conformity to his image is the believers OUTCOME from walking and becoming FREE from SIN.
The believer’s struggle with sin, especially during seasons of suffering, can LEAD them to a DEEPER, more REVELATORY, HUMBLE, CONFIRMING INTIMACY with God, the HOLY SPIRIT. We begin to truly KNOW him through "the fellowship of his suffering" BECAUSE “... we suffer WITH him...” in our own, personal struggle with and against SIN (Philippian 3:10 & Romans 8:17 KJV). “...Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin...” (1 Peter 4:1 NASB).
Christ suffered for you and when you suffer, he suffers “WITH YOU. [God can]… be touched with the feeling of our infirmities…(Hebrews 4:15 KJV). During a season of suffering, you too, can be TOUCHED or EXPERIENCE with what it COST CHRIST to suffer and DIE for you. “…Christ … suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps…” (1 Peter 2:21 KJV). God “spared not his own Son, [from suffering,] but delivered him up for us all….?” (Romans 8:32 KJV). THIS IS ... “ ... participation in his sufferings”(Philippians 3:10 NIV). THIS IS.... “... the fellowship of his sufferings”(Philippians 3:10 KJV).
God’s standard is HOLINESS and suffering is sometimes a part of his Sovereign wisdom for developing that holiness.  Therefore, "...we suffer with him [and like he did]...." “…Christ … suffered for us…” (1 Peter 2:21 KJV). THIS IS how we identify with “... the fellowship of his sufferings”(Philippians 3:10 KJV).
Finally, we “...become conformed to his death...” which is God’s goal and the OUTCOME of most seasons of suffering. “...Be … imitators of [Jesus]…” (Hebrews 12:14; Ephesians 5:1 ASV). “… growing in every way more and more like Christ …” (Ephesians 4:14-16 NLT). “…In this world we are like Jesus …” (1 John 4:17 NIV).  …God …predestined [you] to be conformed to the image of his Son…” (Romans 8:29 NIV).  Jesus “…humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross” (Matthew 20:28 & Philippians 2:8 KJV). “…In this world we are like Jesus (obedient to the point of dying completely to self/the flesh)…” (1 John 4:17 NIV).
Being CONFORMED to the IMAGE of JESUS CHRIST, the LIVING WORD of GOD is a CONTINUAL progress. Becoming CONFORMED to  the IMAGE of JESUS CHRIST is not limited to simply a RESEMBLACE of him, but an EXACT representation of him, which can ONLY come from a DEEP,  INNER conformity DONE by the WORK of the INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT!!  
Dying unto self, dying to the world, and dying to ALL that is in the world comes from the “...the fellowship of his suffering...”which SPRINGS from self-denial and is exhibited by those who have truly been “...crucified with Christ...” (Philippians 3:10 & Galatians 2:20 KJV). TALK IS CHEAP; SELF-DENIAL IS COSTLY!! IT IS A FREE CHOICE!

You demonstrate your love for God every time you DENY yourself, TRUST Him, depend upon him, or “keep his commandments.” If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15). 

Once I was telling my young teenage son to do something and he looked at me and said, “Mom, I’m not scared of you. I’m only doing it because I love you.” I didn’t realized how profound that was until years later.

There is a wide range of topics on suffering, but I am only talking about suffering as it relates to the intimate, covenant relationship with God. No where can we experience or share in the sufferings of Christ more than in our relationships with people whose sins affect us or when we are influence by our own sin.

Jesus suffered to bring us into the intimate, covenant relationship with God, the Holy Spirit, we are privy to today and it was costly as well as sacrificial. For Christ …. died for sins ONCE for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;” (1 Peter 3:18 NASB).Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And ...he was buried, and …he rose again the third day according to the scriptures…” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV).

Christ’s death was PROOF of God’s love for you. Again, Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent His Son...” (1 John 4:10 KJV). 

However, what is the PROOF of your love for God? SELF-DENIAL. “If you love me, you will keep (WHATEVER THE COST) my commandments” (John 14:15). “…Abraham believed God… his faith  (dependency upon God) and his actions (whatever the cost) were working together…” (James 2:18-24 NIV).

The devil asked God in the book of Job: Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.” (Job 1:7-12 NIV).

As long as life is honkey dory, we serve and praise God with everything we have, but that is not proof you love God. God knows whether you love him or not, but you, yourself, often don’t know it until you are challenged or tested.

Therefore, God allows you or even chooses you; to suffer, in order “… to prove [to you]…what [is in your own]…heart, whether [you]… wouldest keep his commandments, or no.” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

When I fell in love, the initial reality of that love was like a fairytale to me and his love for me was enough proof to accept his hand in marriage. However, as time went on and the fairytale diminished I was challenged and tested in my love for him.

When Prince Charming becomes Prince Not-so-Charming you have to ask a similar question like Job. “…Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” (Job 2:10 NIV).

In my fairytale relationship will I simply accept the good parts and not the troubled parts? The troubled parts of relationships are broad, varied, and often painful; will I suffer through it? In my vows, I said, “...for better or for worst…” Who really imagines what “...for worst…” may entail?

We live in a fallen world and trouble is everywhere, especially in our relationships. There are no perfect people, not you or me, and that fact alone should tell you “suffering” will be a part of the experience. How many times have you hurt someone, whether intentional or unintentional?

In relationships, some people suffer through trouble from misunderstanding, simply being different from each other, infidelity, sickness, death, dysfunction, insecurity, emotional lack, disrespect, abuse, mental illness, low-esteem, jealousy, bad attitudes, drama kings and queens, attention hogs, selfishness, secrets, and a host of other things.

Without a doubt, trouble, of any kind, will, “…prove [to you]…what [is in your own]…heart, whether [you]…wouldest keep his commandments, or no.” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

In your role as husband, wife, mother, daughter, son, co-worker, aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, or believer; trouble will prove and reveal your authentic heart.

When trouble comes and it will come: Will you keep your marriage vows? Will you continue your parental duties? Will you remain a reliable aunt or uncle? Will you endure the friendship? Will you keep God’s commandments?

I have learned “suffering” is not necessarily a negative condition, but may, in fact, be a positive opportunity or A GIFT. If nothing else, “suffering” will lead to the road of authentic-ness, because it will force you to evaluate your OWN heart.

If the heart is deceitful above all things, then “suffering” will reveal it and allow it to be purged out! If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him …You must purge the evil from among you.” (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 NIV).

God loves you and he has proved his love for you. Even in suffering, he is proving his love by giving you the opportunity to prove your love to Him. The opportunity to prove your love to him is about “keeping his commandment” (John 14:15 KJV). “Keeping his commandments” ultimately results in multiple blessings for you!

God often provides the opportunity for you to prove your love for him through trials and tribulations. God wants you to become an authentic, loving participant in your relationship with Him through Christ.

Suffering gets to the heart of the matter. Therefore, it’s really not simply the trouble you face or the details of that trouble, but it’s your heart “in” the trouble. Who are you when trouble comes? Who are you when you suffer through difficulties?

“...God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB).

I’m sorry for whatever you are going through or for what you’ve been through. Suffering is NOT pleasant and the process, whatever it may entail, is NOT or is NEVER easy, and usually, afterwards, you will FOREVER be changed. Yet, go through what I call TRANSFORMING SUFFERING and when you DENY YOURSEL you will find your authentic new creation self!

“…He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it…” (Matthew 10:39 KJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment