Tuesday, May 1, 2018

EVEN WHEN ITS HARD: FOLLOW HIM ANYWAY!



FOLLOW ANYWAY

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).

*

“… The steps of a good man (SAVED) are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV). To order, in this context, means to direct the activities of someone or chart out their course or path in life.

However, this direction is NOT forced, but voluntarily and willfully chosen by the righteous or “good (saved)” man or woman. “… I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life” (Deuteronomy 30:19 KJV).

God will graciously and lovingly direct the steps of the righteous (SAVED) and delights in doing so. “…he shall direct thy paths (Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV).

“… the Lord your God directs you in the way you should go,,,.” (Isaiah 48:17).  “…I am your God, I have shown you how you should find the way in which you should walk” (Isaiah 48:17). I will instruct you and guide you in the way you should go…” (Psalm 32:8).

When God directs the steps of his children they will safely reach their destinations in life. “…I am with you always, to the very end…"(Matthew 28:20 NIV).

However, you may wonder, when YOU are facing troubles, difficulties, and “seasons of suffering” if God is STILL directing you? The answer is YES. He will “…never leave nor forsake you…” (Hebrews 13:5 KJV).

No matter what difficulties you encounter or troubles that comes your way or the weapons the enemy tries to use against you; you will victoriously WIN every battle. “…the battle is not yours, but God’s. …you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord’s victory!” (2 Chronicles 20:1-30 NLT).

Many believers THINK that they should be EXEMPT from difficulties, troubles, or suffering, but they are NOT.  “…In this [fallen] world ye shall have tribulation: but be of GOOD CHEER, [God has]… OVERCOME the world…” (John 16:33 KJV). 

The difference is that GOD is with them and their outcome will ALWAYS be favorable even if it doesn’t seem so. “….ALL THINGS work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose…” (ROMANS 8:28 KJV).

Many believers stumble over the purpose of suffering, the process of suffering, the details of suffering, the various circumstances of suffering, and God’s allowance of suffering. “… after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation” (1 Peter 5:10 NLT).“…the suffering of this present time ARE NOT worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us…” (Romans 8:18 KJV).

Suffering comes in the form of tests or trials and should be considered joyful opportunities. “…My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations…” (James 1:2 KJV). I can’t say I’ve considered any of my tests or trials joy.

Personally, I have gained joy from the tests. Thus, my tests have brought me great joy and incredible blessings; I have yet to “…count it all joy…”

I am the person who will say the glass is half full, not half empty. However, calling a test “joy” has eluded me. There is no doubt, “joy” after the test, but the process, the details, or the actual experience of the tests have rattled me to the core.

During the process, the tests have strengthened my faith, revealed my lack of faith, and exposed my lingering sinful ways.  “… For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory” (2 Corinthians 4:17 KJV).

For certain, during the process of tests, my character is disciplined, corrected, humbled, and developed.  I always discover the “real” me. “…to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments (instructions), or no…” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

In addition, during the process of tests, I have had the nerve to deem my suffering as unfair and downright unjust; especially the tests that seem to go on and on for days, weeks, months, or years. “…Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust …” (1 Peter 3:18 KJV).

I’ve had my nerve, especially since, “…Christ suffered for [me]…, leaving [me]… an example, that [I] should follow in his steps. “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly…” (1 Peter 2:20-23 NIV).

Initially, I found no comfort in the previous scripture. I thought I simply didn’t deserve my suffering, but neither did “HOLY, SINLESS” Jesus.  I was thinking WAY to high of myself, but I’m finally off my high horse!! “to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think…”(Romans 12:3 NIV).

What often challenges me when I’m going through challenging situations is this scripture, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments (instructions)...” (John 14:15).

It makes me meditate on how God drew me to himself with his love and how I pledged to love him back. When I accepted Christ as my Savior, I GAVE my life to him and I meant it. Thus, God can do what he wants with my life if I have truly surrendered it to him. “…present your bodies a living sacrifice…” (Romans 12:1 KJV).

Nonetheless, the process of suffering hurts. Jesus suffered PAIN too.he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed…” (Isaiah 53:5 NLT).

Another scripture I read further encourages me to stay the course when facing difficulties or troubles.  A faithful servant of God keeps their “….oath [to God] and [will not]….change [their]….mind…” (Psalm 15:4 NIV). “ … The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way…” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).

It was during one of my “seasons of suffering” that I discovered God truly directs my steps. Right smack in the middle of the process I am HIGHLY tempted to go left, but chose to go right, by faith (by depending upon God), the empowering fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit. “…the faithful followers of the Lord … keep their promises even when it hurts…” (Psalm 15:4 NLT).

You can talk about how you follow God all you want, but is it only when he is directing you where YOU want to go? “…If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY, and follow Me…” (Luke 9:23 KJV).

Do you abandon God when you don’t like where he seems to be taking you? “…They ABANDONED the Lordthey turned their backs on him….” (2 Chronicles 29:6 NLT). “…But my people have stubborn and rebellious hearts. They have turned away and ABANDONED me….” (JEREMIAH 5:23 NLT). “…They ABANDONED ME and did not obey my word (follow my directions or instructions)….” (JEREMIAH 16:11 NLT).

Satan brings the suffering and it seems God allows it. Satan is trying to prove you only serve God when it benefits you or is convenient. “…Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land…” (Job 1:7-12 NIV).

God already knows whether you will FOLLOW him or NOT and facing difficulties and troubles will help you “know” it too “…remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no…” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

“…The Lord said to Satan,Where have you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.” Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.” The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.” Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord” (Job 1:7-12 NIV).

“…Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God “ Job 1:20-22 NASB).

How do you, personally, know you will FOLLOW God? Suffering, of any kind, will reveal what is truly in your heart. Suffering will prove what or who you will “really” follow. “… these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart…” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

Satan is ready and willing to bring on the troubles he thinks will STOP you from following God.  Satan said to God about Job, “…strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.(Job 1:7-12 NIV).

“…Christ suffered for [you and I]…, leaving [us]… an example, that [we] should follow in his steps. …” (1 Peter 2:20-23 NIV). In the relationship with God through Christ, suffering is a blessing, NOT a curse. But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable (praiseworthy, admirable, etc) before God…” (1 Peter 2:19-23 NIV).

When God allows difficulties or troubles it is not simply about what is happening TO you, but more about what is happening IN you. “...God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB). “…In this world we are like Jesus…” (1 John 4:17 NIV).

God loves you and proved it by sending His son. He wants you to love him too and wants you to prove your love to Him by “trusting him,” even during your “seasons of suffering.” “….All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose…” (ROMANS 8:28 KJV). He will “…never leave nor forsake you…” (Hebrews 13:5 KJV). “…I am with you always, to the very end…"(Matthew 28:20 NIV). “… The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).

So like Jesus, continually “… entrust yourself] to him who judges justly…” (1 Peter 2:20-23 NIV).

Even when facing challenges, difficulties, and troubles God is directing your steps. You may be hurting now, but God has AWESOME plans for your future and you WON’T be disappointed. “…the plans [God has]…for you….[are]… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future…” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV). …Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV).

“… The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).… HUMBLE YOURSELVES therefore under the mighty hand of God…” (1 Peter 5:6 KJV). Trust God’s direction.

No matter how it LOOKS the outcome will be rewarding. God says “… that all things work together for GOOD  to them that LOVE GOD, to them who are THE CALLED to his purpose” (Romans 8:28 KJV). AND “… [You]…will receive NOW in return (in this life) a hundred times as many houses, brother, sisters, mothers, children, and property…” (Mark 10:28-31 NLT).

So “...In the day of prosperity be happy, But in the day[s] … of… [suffering]… consider-- God has made the one as well as the other …”(Ecclesiastes 7:14  NASB). “… [Will you]…accept good from God, and not trouble?” (Job 2:10 NIV).

What was Apostle Paul’s SECRET for continually FOLLOWING God when he was challenged with difficulties, troubles, or “seasons of suffering?” “…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want…” Philippians 4:11-12 NIV).

The next verse is his secret, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13 KJV). “…for we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out” (1 Timothy 6:7 KJV).

Job said, “... though he slay me, yet will I trust in him…” (Job 13:15 KJV). What Job went through had to be EXTREMELY painful, but he remained a faithful servant, even though it hurt. (Psalm 15:4 NIV). “…the faithful followers of the Lord … keep their promises even when it hurts…” (Psalm 15:4 NLT).

“… The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV). Job continued to follow God. “…the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. The LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning…” (Job 42:10, 12 KJV).

For your GREATEST benefit and in order to have a truly ABUNDANT life, God’s MAIN goal is to transform you into the IMAGE of his Son. …God … predestined [you] to be conformed to the image of his Son…” (Romans 8:29 NIV). Therefore, “…be transformed BY the renewing of your mind….” (Romans 12:1 KJV).

Your spiritual development is God’s priority and the other “things” are EXTRA. “seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you…” (Matthew 6:33 KJV).

Most people believe that the greatest part of Job’s story was his double, temporary, outward, material blessings (things), but it WASN’T. The GREATEST part of Job’s story was his double, eternal, inward intangible blessings (spiritual development) which were priceless to God!!

God said Job was “… blameless and upright … [and] there … [was] … no one on earth like him; he …[ was] … blameless and upright, a man who feared] …. God and shun[ed] … evil.” “” (Job 1:7-12 NIV). “…Through all [his difficulties and troubles]… Job did not sin nor did he blame God “ Job 1:20-22 NASB). However, “[He grew] … in grace, and in the knowledge … [of God] …. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen ” (Matthew 23:27-28 KJV).

God, himself, said Job was a “blameless and upright man” (Job 1:7-12 NASB). However, Job STILL needed spiritual development. “...God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB).

“….The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way…” (Psalms 37:23 KJV). God directed Job’s STEPS, troublesome as they were, right INTO a DOUBLE blessing!!

He gained a deeper humility towards God, a greater revelatory knowledge of God, and a more profound respect for God’s sovereignty. “[He grew] … in grace, and in the knowledge … [of God] ” (Matthew 23:27-28 KJV).

Apostle Paul said, “….everything else … [was] … worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus [our]… Lord (the WORD). For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ” (Philippians 3:8 NLT).

Therefore, as God said “… all things work[ed] … together for GOOD” (Romans 8:28 KJV). “…the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. The LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning…” (Job 42:10, 12 KJV). 

“… all things work[ed] … together for GOOD” (Romans 8:28 KJV). What “things” worked together for Job’s good?

First Job repented. “… Then Job replied to the Lord: “…I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance...” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Second, Job demonstrated a deeper humility before God. “Then Job replied to the Lord's question: “… ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom (God) with such ignorance?’ It is I (Job)—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Third, Job was a “blameless and upright” man, but was - for the first time – seeing God through revelatory knowledge Job said, “…I had only heard about you before, but  (NOW) I have seen you with my own eyes” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Fourth, Job was experiencing refreshing and direct communication with God. “…Then Job replied to the Lord… “You said, ‘Listen and I will speak...” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Fifth, Job’s respect for God’s sovereignty grew. “Then Job replied to the Lord: “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Job felt godly sorrow. “…The sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation…” (2 Corinthians 7:10 NIV). “… I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance…” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Sixth, Job stopped questioning God’s direction for his life. “… Have you understood the expanse of the earth? Tell me [Job], if you know ALL this” (Job 38:18 NIV). Job replied “… I have declared that which I did not understand” (Job 42:3). “… there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.” (Jeremiah 10:6 KJV).

Finally, he prayed mercifully for his friends. “…When Job prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes…” (Job 42:10 NLT).

Job’s friends had given him “dark counsel” (Job 38:2) and implied that his suffering was a sign of God’s punishment for some personal sin.

Their “dark counsel” made Job defensive about his own righteousness or God's directions for his life. Thus, Job questioned God’s wisdom in allowing him to suffer.

Job’s friends were wrong in their assessment of God and so was Job in his judgement of God’s direction for his life. And during his test or trial, Job’s conversation with God transformed him. “Then Job replied to the Lord: “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me. You said, ‘Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.’ I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes.  I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance” (Job 42:1-6 NLT).

Praying for his friends was the zenith of his spiritual growth and development. Once Job passed through his tests and trials, he interceded for Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar “…and the Lord accepted Job’s prayer…” (Job 42:9 NLT). “….pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much…” (James 5:16 NASB).

“…When Job prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes…” (Job 42:10 NLT). “…So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: … So Job died, being old, and FULL of days...” (Job 42:12-17 KJV).

“… The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).  Job’s troubles, hardships, and suffering culminated with a promise: “….that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose…” (ROMANS 8:28 KJV. “…the plans [God has]…for you….[are]… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future…” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV).

In order to fully benefit from FOLLOWING the directions of God, it is important to “…live by faith (by depending upon God), not by sight….” (2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV).

FOLLOWING God means “knowing” no matter what happens you will overcome every test and ever trial. “…In this [fallen] world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, [God has]… OVERCOME the world…” (John 16:33 KJV).

FOLLOWING God means to “…live by faith (by depending upon God), not by sight...” and you will overcome (2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV).

FOLLOWING God means believing, “….that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose…” (ROMANS 8:28 KJV) and that “…the plans [God has]…for [them, are]…. plans to prosper [them].. and not to harm [them]…, plans to give [them]… hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV).

“…The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).  God alone can direct your steps and “….[call]… you out of darkness into his marvellous light…” (1 Peter 2:9 KJV).

FOLLOWING God will eventually lead you right out of all your difficulties and troubles.This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of ALL his troubles” (Psalms 34:6 KJV).God alone “…. deliver[s] [you] ... out of all [your] ... trouble…” (Psalms 54:7 KJV).

“….all things work together for good to them that love God…” (ROMANS 8:28 KJV) Thus, God “…in his kindness [has]…called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation” (1 Peter 5:10 NLT).

“…for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin (grown in HOLINESS)…” (1 Peter 4:1-3 KJV). God WORKS on the “…hidden man of the heart…” (1 Peter 3:4 KJV). Because, “…the LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7 NIV). “…So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation” (1 Peter 5:10 NLT).

God cares about your spiritual growth and development first and foremost. Therefore, follow God’s direction so you can “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ… ”(Matthew 23:27-28 KJV).

“...God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB). Job grew in holy humility. “…God … predestined … [you] … to be conformed to the image of his Son…” (Romans 8:29 NIV).

“…The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).  Therefore, which would be a priority to God your outward appearances or the inward holiness of the heart? “…he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin (or gained holiness)… (1 Peter 4:1-3 KJV). “..In the day of prosperity be happy, But in the day of adversity consider-- God has made the one as well as the other…” (Ecclesiastes 7:14  NASB).

Anyone who wants to be my follower must love me far more than he does his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, or sisters—yes, more than his own life [or any other outward attachments]—otherwise he cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:26 NLT). “.. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.” (1 John 2:16-17 NLT).

“…Christ … suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps…” (1 Peter 2:21 KJV). Much of a believer’s difficulties, troubles, or “seasons of suffering” is not so much about what is or what has happened TO them as much as what is happening or what has happened IN them. God’s priority is the “…hidden man of the heart…” (1 Peter 3:4 KJV).

Believers are blessed, NOT simply for the mere outward things, but more so for the inward blessings. The REAL blessing is that God has “… [made] … known… [to you]...the riches of the glory … which is Christ in you…” (Colossians 1:27 KJV).

“Christ in YOU” is THE blessing which includes unlimited outward and inward blessings!!!!! “…Jesus Christ is in you” (2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV). “…Christ in you, …” (Colossians 1:27 KJV). “…the Spirit of God dwell in you…” (Romans 8:9 KJV).  “…if Christ be in you… (Romans 8:10 KJV).   “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me” (Galatians 2:20 KJV). “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16 KJV). “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” (1 Corinthians 6:19 KJV). “…God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people” (2 Corinthians 6:16 KJV).

In addition, “…As many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yesalsoAmen” (2 Corinthians 1:20 NASB). “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will (outward or inward requests), he heareth us” (1 John 5:14 KJV). “…You can ask for anything (a house or for ANSWERS) in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.  Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it...” (John 14:12-14 NLT).  “…Not one of the good promises which the Lord had made … failed; all came to pass…” (Joshua 21:45 NASB).  “He has granted to [you]… His precious and magnificent promises…” (2 Peter 1:4 NASB).

“…The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way” (Psalms 37:23 KJV).  Therefore, “…Christ … suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps…” (1 Peter 2:21 KJV). “… [You] can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth [you]...” (Philippians 4:13 KJV).
EVEN WHEN IT'S HARD; FOLLOW GOD ANYWAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment