Thursday, May 3, 2018

THE OPPORTUNITIES IN SUFFERING THROUGH HARD TIMES!!



                            
THE BRIGHT SIDE OF HARD TIMES


“…How can you know me, if you don’t share in my suffering?...”

*

As a young woman, I sat in the congregation, with my legs crossed and listened as the preacher talked about “suffering.” I remember thinking, “I ain’t suffering for nobody.” However, I have since swallowed those words, seemingly, a thousand times. I have suffered in my lifetime.

I asked God why did he give me certain situations and circumstances to suffer through and he said, “How can you know me unless you share in my suffering?” He also said, “Pensacola, you are my heart and the mouthpiece for my heart.”

Two important things here: I was called to be the mouthpiece for God’s heart and it involved getting to know him. Part of getting to know him meant I had to share in the fellowship of his suffering. “I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death”(Philippians 3:10 NIV). “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death…”(Philippians 3:10 KJV).

Once I truly understood the cost of becoming God's disciple, I was not thrilled with the calling on my life and I certainly wasn’t thrilled to discover I would have to suffer as a result of the calling. Nobody likes to suffer. The word “suffer” gives me the chills, because suffering brings up so many unpleasant situations or memories.

I can’t even believe God wanted me, of all people, to write this particular book on “suffering.” To be honest I didn’t want to and I didn’t see the purpose. However God explained it.  My book TRANSFORMING LOVE was about the reality of God’s love; my book TRANSFORMING INTIMACY was about the PROOF of God’s love; and this book, TRANSFORMING SUFFERING is about the PROOF of your love for God.

TRANSFORMING LOVE, the reality of God’s love is this:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

TRANSFORMING INTIMACY, the proof of God’s love is this: “…God has given [you] his [Holy] Spirit as PROOF that [he [dwells]… in [you]…” (1 John 4:13 NLT). Renewal [comes] by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior…” (Titus 3:4-6 NIV).  “…GOD IS SPIRIT…” (John 4:24 KJV). “the Spirit of God dwell in you…” (Romans 8:9 KJV).

TRANSFORMING SUFFERING, the proof of your love: “…My people would not listen to me. They kept doing whatever they wanted, following the stubborn desires of their evil hearts” (Jeremiah 7:24 NLT). ... I [am] …a slave to the sin that is … WITHIN me …(Romans 7:14-25 NLT). “…No one needed… to tell [God] about human nature, for he knew what was in each person’s heart” (John 2:24-25 NLT)..O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know everything I do…” (Psalms 139:1-6 NLT). “…EXAMINE YOURSELVES, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, EXCEPT YE BE REPROBATES (sinners)?” (2 Corinthians 13:“… to prove [to you]…what [is in your own]…heart, whether [you]… wouldest keep his commandments (depend upon them), or no.” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV). 5 KJV).

You prove your love for God every time you TRUST Him by depending upon his WORD or “keep[ing] his commandments.” If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15). 

Once I was telling my young teenage son to do something and he looked at me and said, “Mom, I’m not scared of you. I’m only doing it because I love you.” I didn’t realized how profound that was until years later. What other reason did I want my young son to follow my instructions other than because he loved me?

There is a wide range of topics on suffering, but I will be talking about suffering as it relates to the relationship with God. No where can we experience or share in the sufferings of Christ more than in our relationships.

Jesus suffered and died in order to bring us or reconcile us into the relationship with God we are privy to today. It was costly as well as sacrificial. For Christ …. died for sins ONCE for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;” (1 Peter 3:18 NASB).Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And ...he was buried, and …he rose again the third day according to the scriptures…” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV).

Christ’s death was PROOF of God’s love for you. Again, Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent His Son...” (1 John 4:10 KJV). 

However, what is the PROOF of your love for God? “If you love me, you will keep (TRUST, depend upon, etc.) my commandments” (John 14:15). “…Abraham believed (depended upon) God… his faith (dependency upon God) and his actions were working together…” (James 2:18-24 NIV).

The devil asked God in the book of Job: Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.” (Job 1:7-12 NIV).

As long as life is honkey dory, we serve and praise God with everything we have, but that is not proof you love God. God knows whether you love him or not, but you, yourself, often don’t know it until you are challenged or tested.

Therefore, God allows you or even chooses you; to suffer, in order “… to prove [to you]…what [is in your own]…heart, whether [you]… wouldest keep his commandments (depend upon them), or no.” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV).

When I fell in love, the initial reality of that love was like a fairytale to me and his love for me was enough proof to accept his hand in marriage. However, as time went on and the fairytale season diminished I was challenged and tested in my love for him.

When Prince Charming becomes Prince Not-so-Charming you have to ask a similar question like Job. “…Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” (Job 2:10 NIV).

In my  relationship will I simply accept the good, fairytale-like parts and not the troubled parts? The troubled parts of relationships are broad, varied, and often painful; will I choose to suffer through it? In my vows, I said, “...for better or for worst…” Who really imagines what “...for worst…” may entail?

We live in a fallen world and trouble is everywhere, especially in our relationships. There are no perfect people, not you or me, and that fact alone should tell you “suffering” will be a part of the experience. How many times have you hurt someone, whether intentional or unintentional?

In relationships, some people suffer through trouble from infidelity, sickness, death, dysfunction, insecurity, emotional lack, disrespect, abuse, mental illness, low-esteem, jealousy, bad attitudes, drama kings and queens, attention hogs, selfishness, secrets, and a host of other things.

Without a doubt, trouble in relationships will, “…prove [to you]…what [is in your own]…heart, whether [you]…wouldest keep his commandments, or no.” (Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV). Trouble, in your relationships, will reveal what is in your OWN heart and let YOU know if you will keep the commitment you've made to another person or NOT.

In your role as husband, wife, mother, daughter, son, co-worker, aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, or believer; trouble will proof your authentic heart.

When trouble comes and it will come: Will you keep your marriage vows? Will you continue your parental duties? Will you remain a reliable aunt or uncle? Will you endure the friendship? Will you keep God’s commandments?

I have learned “suffering” is not necessarily a negative condition, but may, in fact, be a positive opportunity. If nothing else, “suffering” will lead to the road of authentic-ness, because it will force you to evaluate your OWN heart.

If the heart is deceitful above all things, then “suffering” will reveal it and allow it to be purged out! If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him …You must purge the evil from among you.” (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 NIV).

God loves you and he has proved his love for you. Even in suffering, he is proving his love by giving you the opportunity to prove your love to Him. The opportunity to prove your love to him is about “keeping his commandment” (John 14:15 KJV). “Keeping his commandments” ultimately results in multiple blessings for you!

God often provides the opportunity for you to prove your love for him through trials and tribulations. God wants you to become an authentic, loving participant in your relationship with Him through Christ.

Suffering gets to the heart of the matter. Therefore, it’s really not simply the trouble you face or the details of that trouble, but it’s your heart “in” the trouble. Who are you when trouble comes? Who are you when you suffer through difficulties?

“...God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart”(1 Samuel 16:7 NASB).

I’m sorry for whatever you are going through or for what you’ve been through. Suffering is NOT pleasant and the process, whatever it may entail, is NOT or is NEVER easy, and usually, afterwards, you will FOREVER be changed. Yet, go through the TRANSFORMING SUFFERING and you will FIND your authentic new creation self!

“…He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it…” (Matthew 10:39 KJV).

Dr. Pensacola H. Jefferson
THE MOUTHPIECE FOR GOD'S HEART

YADA Counseling Ministry

TRANSFORMING SUFFERING

Colton’s Point, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment